Sign up to receive email updates
Jones Bills Passed Into Law
Over his ten terms in office, Congressman Jones has crafted a wide range of legislation. Some of those that have been signed into law include:
· A 2014 Jones effort to enact The Preserving Access to Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area Act (H.R. 819), was, in large part, included in the 2015 National Defense Authorization Act (H.R. 3979). This language required the National Park Service to improve public access to the beaches of Cape Hatteras.
· A 2012 Jones effort to enact certain requirements for the retirement, adoption, care, and recognition of military working dogs and to create a military working dogs memorial, was included in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013.
· H.RES.1433, Expressing support for designation of September 2010 as Blood Cancer Awareness Month.
· A 2010 Jones request resulted in the Obama Administration stopping a U.S. government foreign aid program spending $10 million in U.S. taxpayer dollars to train 3,000 Sri Lankans to become IT specialists, and to then place them with outsourcing companies to take jobs from U.S. workers.
· H.RES.1421, Solemnly commemorating the 25th anniversary of the tragic October 1983 terrorist bombing of the United States Marine Corps Barracks in Beirut, Lebanon and remembering those who lost their lives and those who were injured.
· The Service Members First-Time Homebuyer Relief Act of 2009, H.R. 2398, was included in the Work, Homeownership and Business Assistance Act. The Jones provision allows service members to retain the first-time homebuyer tax credit if they must sell their home within 36 months of purchase because the service member is transferred or deployed.
· H.R. 1585, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008, included Jones language providing an exception to the leave transfer program to allow wounded veterans the opportunity to utilize donated leave prior to exhausting their annual and sick leave. Jones’ language allows an exemption for up to five years for federal employees who are undergoing medical treatment for a combat-related disability.
· The Military Academy First Amendment Protection Act, H. R. 3430, to protect the ability of the military service academies to include the offering of a voluntary, nondenominational prayer as an element of their activities, was included in the Fiscal Year 2006 National Defense Authorization Act signed by the President.
· The Lake Mattamuskeet Lodge Preservation Act (2006), to require the conveyance of Mattamuskeet Lodge and surrounding property, including the Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge headquarters, to the State of North Carolina to permit the State to use the property as a public facility dedicated to the conservation of the natural and cultural resources of North Carolina.
· The Fallen Patriots Tax Relief Act, H.R. 3365, contains a Jones provision restoring capital gains relief for military personnel by doubling the military death gratuity and making it tax exempt.
· Berry Amendment Codification Act, a version of H.R. 1562, to codify certain Buy American provisions into law and to increase reporting requirements to Congress on domestic source waivers, was included as part of the FY02 National Defense Authorization Act signed by the President.
· Non-Commissioned Officer and Petty Officer Pay Table Equity Act of 2000, to provide an additional increase in military basic pay for enlisted members of the uniformed services in pay grades E-5, E-6, or E-7. Legislation was passed as part of the FY01 National Defense Authorization Act and signed by the President.
· TRICARE Enhancement Act of 2000, to make various improvements in the military health care system with respect to the TRICARE program. Several provisions of the legislation were approved as part of the FY01 National Defense Authorization Act signed by the President.
· Military Family Food Stamp Tax Credit Act of 1999, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a $500 refundable credit to certain low-income members of the uniformed services. Legislation providing supplemental funding for members of the uniformed services qualifying for food stamps was approved as part of the FY01 National Defense Authorization Act signed by the President.
· The War Crimes Act of 1996 and the Expanded War Crimes Act of 1997 to help protect the rights of Americans in foreign lands by giving federal courts the authority to try and prosecute the perpetrators of war crimes against Americans.
· United States Navy Asiatic Fleet Commemoration Act to commend and commemorate the Navy and Marine Corps personnel who served in the United States Navy Asiatic Fleet – from 1910 - 1941 – to protect American nationals, policies, and possessions in the Far East.
· First Flight Commemorative Coin Act of 1997 to celebrate the centennial anniversary of the Wright Brothers' first flight with the minting of commemorative coins.
· The Shackleford Banks Protection Act to protect a herd of wild horses on the Cape Lookout National Seashore that represent a special part of Eastern North Carolina's history.
· Pfiesteria Research Act of 1997 to establish a research and grant program for the eradication or control of Pfiesteria piscicida and other aquatic toxins.