Sign up to receive email updates
Fighting Reckless Spending
The irresponsible fiscal policies of this administration have caused the national debt to grow at an astonishing rate, from $10 trillion to over $18 trillion in just seven years. I have opposed the efforts of President Obama and his predecessors to increase spending at every turn. Below, you will find a short summary of the actions I have taken to stop the government’s reckless spending habits:
• I am the only member of Congress to vote against every increase in the debt limit over the past 11 years.
• I am the only member of Congress to vote against every deficit-raising, debt-filled budget bill over the past 11 years. These budget bills raised the federal debt from $8 trillion to over $18 trillion.
• I have voted against more spending bills than all but one of my Republican colleagues.
• I am the only member of Congress to vote against every foreign aid spending bill over the past 19 years.
• I have voted for every balanced budget amendment to the Constitution.
• I have voted against bailouts of Wall Street and Detroit.
• I voted against President Obama’s trillion dollar ‘stimulus’ package.
• I was one of only eight members of Congress to vote against the pork-filled 2005 highway bill, which included the infamous “Bridge to Nowhere.”
• I voted against Obamacare, the president’s costly government takeover of our healthcare system, and cosponsored every bill aimed at repealing or defunding the law.
• I voted against the 2003 Medicare prescription drug bill, which – prior to Obamacare – was the biggest entitlement expansion since the “Great Society.”